G L A S S H O U S E
Architectural Competition, L’Ormarins
The Glass House proposes a new and contemporary addition immediately adjacent to, but clearly separate from, the Historic L’Ormarins Manor House.
L’Ormarins is a neo-classical Cape Dutch ‘H’ plan house. The main gable is dated 1811.
Viewed from the front of the Manor House, the proposed Glass House is set back. Its position completes an existing gap in the original perimeter ‘werf wall’.
The historic structure is built of mass load bearing masonry with punctured openings for windows with shutters and decorative plaster mouldings.
In contrast, The Glass House consists of a sheer, frameless, ventilated double glass skin facade which is supported internally by means of steel framing. The glass facades are intended to reflect the spectacular surrounding farm setting and mountains. Internal shutters and screens provide for privacy and thermal control.
Accommodation in the new and the old is linked by means of subterranean passages and sunken courtyards.